Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Spiritual Superiority

[This is taken from Thoughts I Thunk, a compilation of some of my own personal reflections. The date of the writing is included as it is sometimes relevant to understand what was said and why.]

Persons who feel superior to others are a bit trying. People who feel and act that they are religiously and spiritually superior to others are subjects of my own personal disdain.

“Facebook” has opened a new social and interactive possibility which has its lighter moments. Too many people disclose too much personal information on their profile. One Facebook friend has on her profile, “Jesus loves everyone but I’m his favorite.” I have always found this funny and have used it often in birthday greetings, telling the birthday celebrant that “Jesus loves everyone but today you’re his favorite.”

Another friend posted, “I have a friend who sticks closer than a brother.” It is a loose quote from the Jewish King David who undoubtedly was thinking of his dear friend Jonathan who had long since died in battle against the Philistines.

A friend of mine had recently passed away unexpectedly. His friendship had so impressed me that I thought of and associated that friendship with David and Jonathan. I posted that sentiment, extolling my friend and friendship which to me was closer than a brother. “I, too, had a friend,” I said, “that was closer than a brother.”

Four people noted they “liked” what I had to say. (Hitting the “like” button on Facebook is the equivalent to saying “amen” in a fundamentalist church.) Then a woman commented, “Hahaha. . .I believe I know Him. . .!!! LOL [this means “laugh out loud”]. . .” Another woman commented, “I have a friend that sticks closer than a Sister!” I should have recognized from the capital letters in these two comments that they were referencing deity in some manner. But I wasn’t thinking in those terms. King David wasn’t writing about God nor was he thinking of anything other than his friend Jonathan when he penned the original words.

I commented, “You’re fortunate if you have one of those during your life. Mine died recently.” He had been a dear friend of mine on whom I could depend in all things and he had recently died. I don’t have many close friends. We all have acquaintances but a really close friend is a rarity. After a few months I was still feeling the loss. His was a companionship now gone. His was a listening ear now missing. His was a wise counsel now stilled and silent.

Another of the Facebook “friends” joined in. She commented, “I know him 2 He is my Savior!!!! Jesus!!!!” (Facebook language is full of shortcuts.) I wanted to come back with something like, “Give me a freakin’ break, Lady.” Or, “How does he take his coffee?” Or, “Is he a good enough friend that he’ll help you move? If so, does he own a pickup or would he just zap it to the new address?”

That sense of spiritual superiority is offensive on so many levels. It probably doesn’t speak very well of me that I can be offended by ignorance but I took this as a personal affront to my own friend “who sticks closer than a brother.” And now he was gone to stand with the angels.

“That’s sweet in a superincumbent way,” I posted in reply. She’ll probably never know she was dopeslapped.

6/30/2010

No comments:

Post a Comment