Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Linda and Johnny

Linda and Johnny were married Friday night, on the 23rd day of September, 2011, at the Quail Spring Church of Christ in Oklahoma City. I was there.

Sometime earlier, Johnny called me and told me he and Linda were going to be married and would I perform the ceremony. He started the conversation by saying, “Hershel, this is Johnny.” I replied, “Okay.” I had no idea who this person was and tried to run through my mind who I knew by that name, and I couldn’t come up with anyone. The first person who entered my mind was Johnny Weissmuller, but I was sure it couldn’t be him as he was dead. Even following several moments of awkward silence, even after he had told me his last name, I was still perplexed as to the identity of the caller.

I hadn’t seen Johnny since we graduated high school in May, 1962. He, Linda and I were classmates in Sayre, Oklahoma. I had kept up with Linda somewhat over the years. We had a similar background in that we were both raised in the Church of Christ. I remembered her from when we were in elementary school, she in Sayre and I in a little country school of eight grades called Hext. I remembered her coming to Hext to play sports, especially basketball. I remember her as one of the cutest little girls I had ever seen. Of course, like most boys that age, I thought all little girls were cute and fell in and out of love easily.

My freshman year of high school, I went into town to continue my education and found myself in class with both Johnny and Linda. Those four years were not the most momentous of my life, nor can I say I really enjoyed my high school years. But, I did form a few friendships. I have not remained very close to any of them, but there are some I have reached out to from time to time. I lost contact with Johnny altogether after graduation. In high school, I knew he had had a difficult childhood, but I wasn’t sure it was any more difficult than mine and several others. He was quiet, as was I; an average student, as was I. Socially, both of us were reserved and, somewhat uncomfortable in the social structure in which we found ourselves. We perceived ourselves as of a lower socio-economic class than our peers. All of this may have very well been just a perception, not an actuality. Johnny was an athlete and participated in most of the high school sports. My only extracurricular activity was public speaking in those venues provided by the Future Farmers of America (a social and academic organization run in conjunction with the Vocational Agricultural program in the school). Linda was much more involved in high school activities than either Johnny or me.

We graduated from high school in May of 1962 and that would have been the last time I had seen Johnny until the wedding last Friday night.

Not long after our graduation, Linda had suffered health problems which resulted in her being left with difficulties in speech and mobility. She had to learn to crawl and to speak babbling words all over again. Her vision was impaired. She worked hard at her rehabilitation and eventually reached the point that she could continue on with her education. And, then she was able to secure employment in the state library system where she worked until retirement. She still has some vision and speech problems, but nothing which holds her back from living a normal life. She does not consider herself handicapped or limited in any manner. She uses a cane to walk, but, then, don’t we all.

Johnny had lived away from Oklahoma his entire adult life. He tells me he had lived in Phoenix until his retirement recently, whereupon he wanted to come home. I don’t know how he and Linda made contact, but after a renewed friendship of several months, they decided to get married. That was where I came in.

Earlier in the evening, we went through the rehearsal. I assured them I had never seen a good rehearsal or a bad wedding. It was quick and uneventful. Then, at 7:30, Johnny and I stood behind closed doors, awaiting the sound of music. There was a flautist who began playing, our cue, and we entered the sanctuary, taking our place in front. I was frankly somewhat surprised at the number of people there. I would estimate the number to be about 150 people. We stood there as the maid of honor entered the room and took her place. We looked toward the other entrance and watched as Linda entered. I asked the audience to stand and we turned as if at attention to watch her make her way to the altar.

She looked lovely. Radiant. A smile crossed her face like I had never seen, something like sheer happiness warming those of us blessed to be sharing the moment. “Do you take Johnny to be your lawfully wedded husband?” I asked. “Do you promise to love, honor and cherish him, in sickness and in health, in prosperity and in adversity, and do you promise to keep yourself to him and to him alone so long as you both shall live?” “I do,” she replied.

I had Johnny place a ring on the third finger of Linda’s left hand, hold it and repeat after me, “With this ring I thee wed, and all that I am and all that I have, I give to you.”

With the exchange of vows in the presence of God and in the presence of that company of friends and family, sealed by the giving and receiving of rings, “by the authority vested in me by the State of Oklahoma, I now pronounce you husband and wife.” And, with that, they kissed.

It was a joyous event. We don’t often marry at our age, usually that is something younger people do. But, as I stated during the ceremony, the thing we have in common with the younger people is that we have the rest of our lives ahead of us. And, Linda and Johnny have the rest of their lives ahead of them. If there was any sadness in the whole evening, it was that Linda’s mother and father were gone and did not get to see her happiness that night.

My best wishes go with the two of them.

1 comment:

  1. Hershel; Thanks for that great description of Linda and Johnny's Wedding. I wish I could have been there, and while reading your story it was almost like I was. Johnny and I went into the Army right after HS Graduation and went through basic together. Then, he went to Europe and I went to Korea. The last time I saw him was just briefly in Sayre right after our discharge in the summer of 1965. Our ways parted and I had not heard anything about him until he resurfaced recently and with Linda; surprised us all with the announcement of their engagement. I hope they have a wonderful life together and thought it grand that you performed the Marriage Ceremony. Your description of High School days was also "spot on"! That's the way I recall it as well. I wish you good health and hope to see you at our 50th H.S. reunion.

    Bobby H.

    ReplyDelete