Thursday, February 24, 2011

Talking to the Monkey


My children are full of requests. They do not hesitate to ask of me whatever it is that they want. Which is alright as it’s my responsibility to fill their needs, not necessarily their wants, but their needs. I once heard a man tell his daughter that it was his responsibility to provide her with a pair of jeans to cover her butt in the wintertime, but it was not his responsibility, legal or otherwise, to cover it with “designer jeans.” I liked that and have made it my own since then.

When friends ask me what I will be doing over the weekend, I tell them simply that I do not know. I haven’t yet been told by She Who Must be Obeyed. For me, I have no plans, I have instructions. I am instructed where to go, what to do, what to eat, speak and think.

Today, when my children make a request of me I simply tell them, “You’re talking to the monkey. You need to ask the organ grinder.” That’s their cue to go to She Who Must be Obeyed with their request. I’m trying to cultivate in them a proper respect for authority.

No comments:

Post a Comment